The Barn has approximately 70 volunteers making a valuable contribution to our work. Volunteers change our way of thinking; they challenge our perceptions and processes. They offer a wealth of experience and enthusiasm for the arts by getting involved in what we do.
Our volunteers are involved in many areas of our organisation and in many different ways; from areas that require skilled assistance to ones where enthusiasm is the only qualification.
Our main volunteering opportunities can be split into five main groups: administration, programming, marketing, fundraising, gardening and customer service.
Administration: There are many departments where assisting with administrative and clerical tasks are of enormous value. This may include helping staff with computer or data entry, or office tasks such as filing or envelope stuffing for mail-outs or helping on our box office.
- Programming: do you have a passion for the visual arts? some experience in curation? are you an artist? Or do you love classical music? Have a knowledge of current ensembles and classical music repertoire? Then perhaps joining one of our affiliate groups, such as Woodend Music Society or the Gallery Committee would be right for you.
- Marketing: This can range from a little online social networking to distributing flyers and posters for exhibitions and events. Put up our posters, put our brochures in high traffic locations. Do you have a blog? How about doing some reviews of our shows?
- Customer service: there are many customer service roles you could get involved with if you love meeting and talking to people! All our ushers and front of house staff are volunteers as are our stewards in the gallery. All you need is a friendly manner and a love of people!
- Carpark attendants: during very busy events we require a team of car park attendants to make sure that the hundreds of cars are parked neatly and that people are guided back to their car safely aft the end of the evening, especially at dark nights. All you need is some common sense, a friendly manner and a torch! As a bonus you are given the opportunity to watch a sold out performance for free!
- Fundraising: the Barn has a very hard-working and committed fundraising team who are always looking for new members. You can get involved in a small way, helping bring in prizes for auctions or raffles or you could help with business sponsorship or even managing your own event. All you need to be involved is lots of enthusiasm and a ‘hands-on’ approach. You can commit to the year’s programme of events or just one a year depending on your availability. Or if interested in sponsorship, this is a rolling programme.
Interested in volunteering for us? Then please get in touch now!